Sunday, June 8, 2014

Most people go gaga over babies. Not me. I think there's nothing cuter than a teenage boy struggling to find words to present this, a collective class gift....


I've received many things from students: cards, food, gift certificates, a Christmas ornament, candle holders (that was a surprising one), little love-notes, along with un-love notes published publicly online :(

Working with the public, I put myself out there for approval or criticism, a challenging aspect of an already challenging job. I guess it's not realistic for everyone to like everyone, and public figures are subject to public opinion. I'm reminded of that every time I think of a future employer looking me up and landing on that yucky review from someone I evidently eerked.

But this is what I need to keep closer to my heart. A symbol of someone's appreciation. Something I can hold onto when I get down about the countless thankless jobs within a teacher's job...practicing to protect the children in the event of something crazy, going for basically years without water because then I might have to go to the bathroom, and who has time for that?!

I touch it and remember the smile of the sweetest student I could ask for, of her parents' and grandparents' sacrifices and heartfelt appreciation, of the tears that inevitably come to my eyes when I talk to them. I look at it and see my initials and remember that this is for me. Not for the late night emails, the vacations spent working, the sleepless nights spent grading and regrading, desperately trying to get it all done on time. Not for the work, but for the love.

My most personal student gift, next to that ornament ;) and like Louise said, my way to wear the gospel.

1 comment: