Saturday, January 24, 2015

My first 50 felt so good that I took it a little further. I'm up to 180, the number of days in a school year. The number of days (x10 years) that got swallowed by stress, not counting the August meltdowns + the Sunday anxiety that sometimes has the nerve to creep into Saturday.

Since I can't get that time back, I'm assigning this arbitrary number to give some structure to this otherwise free form purge project. It's part of my ongoing effort to reclaim the past for the sake of the present. It symbolizes those last drops I poured out and am trying to soak back into this burned out land and restore into fertile soil.

Like a mathematical truth, these two negatives somehow make a positive. That time and energy lost (and my related regret, anger, diminished health and appearance) + the subtraction of stuff somehow produce a positive result = making up for lost time and giving myself a cleaner slate. It goes something like this:
Even after all the years gone by, and the messes accumulated, I can choose to simply throw it all away (and get the gift of greater freedom today).
You could say it's all about "simplify, simplify, simplify" but I think it's more than that. God forbid we "complicate, complicate, complicate" but I simply couldn't go straight from may-hem to may-belle in a day. They are like two neighbors with a blurry property line. It's really all the same garden but they feel like worlds apart.

Like the coast of Maine, a la "you can't get there from here", the two points appear so close yet without a boat, it's impossible to travel that short distance quickly. There's no choice but to slowly snake along the rocky coastline. So there I've been, just trying not to fall in, missing both the boat and the gorgeous view.

I kept getting rerouted along the long road lined with lions and tigers and bears and rabbit holes and snakes and the whole menagerie. For a while, that was all I could see. And it finally brought me here. Maybe the sweet spot lies somewhere in between, amidst the weeds and the flowers alike.

Actually, that kind of compromise feels like a convenient way for a high school student to neatly wrap up an essay, like when I tried the wake-up-from-a-dream-scheme ending to my elementary school story. For me, the truth is, God was always offering a better way, I just couldn't see it. So that's why I'm trying to clear the view:

10 abstract yet huge items
25 things given to my students
45 VHS (in addition to several previous boxes...still a few more to go)
50 first round
50 second round:

1 door - yes, a door - and the associated project I am letting go of
1 bag full of Real Simple magazines I'd been saving for a rainy day
4 piles of clothes
5 wooden shelves that delighted my dad
2 CDs returned 9 years later
4 original burners from my awesome stove
1 key to ex-boyfriend's ex-place
2 vessels (1 vase + 1 flower pot)
5 products
3 flash drives and the associated guilt for not delivering those pictures sooner
10 little jars
1 pile of alumni magazines + photos + postcards
1 ironing board
1 bag containing 8 lbs of products I let myself get sucked into buying (sigh)
5 pairs of eyeglasses donated to the Lion's Club
1 iphone 4
1 meaningful gift that went to just the right person
1 lamp
1 wedding gift finally given






No comments:

Post a Comment