Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Buying art is a frivolous thing to do, only for the rich, something we can't afford. This mindset has been a total "given" that I'm realizing is really a "taken", sadly devoid of pleasure, especially when contrasted to the happy walls and homes of some not rich folks I've been fortunate to visit.

The truth is clear if I compare the pleasure I would get from looking at this painting versus just about anything money could buy. I was thinking about Vermont and my wanting to plant a garden (farm, really) there. My wish to invite folks over and be something like a retreat hostess. About "clarity of heart, like an objet d'art", and this phrase came to me:

Invest in your happy place.
{reminiscent of "where your money is, there your heart will be also" (Luke 12:34)}

It sounds a little trite until I "pair" it like a fine wine with my new favorite artist, Rory Jackson, the glorious product of an artist family. I almost can't stand to look at his work I love it so much. His painting "Walking in Clarity" totally mesmerized me this summer (and still does). I was lucky enough to see it in person just before it sold, leaving me an admiring voyeur trying to give credit where credit is due:

Rory Jackson, Walking in Clarity, 2014
Edgewater Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment