Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Green beans. I never really liked them until this dish came along, thanks to my Turkish former roommate. I associate it with summer, since that's when her mom visited forever and we awkwardly cohabited.

 

1 lb Green beans
4-5 Tomatoes
1-2 Onion
2-3 Garlic cloves
1/3 cup Olive oil
Juice of 1 orange or 1 tsp sugar
Lemon
Salt

Wash beans, remove ends and string. Peel tomatoes. Place beans and tomatoes in deep pot. Add onions (she chopped, I sliced...take your pick), pressed garlic cloves, juice of 1 orange, 1/3 cup of olive oil, and salt. Cover and cook over medium heat. Bring to boil, reduce temperature, and cook until marshmallow soft. Arrange in serving dish and squeeze lemon juice over mixture.

Note: I usually make half this quantity. Never tried adding sugar or orange juice but I left it here to keep the recipe authentic. Also I don't peel the tomatoes (lazy), I just let the skin slide off during cooking and scoop out later. Can be served hot or room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment