Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A. Lazarus, I'm thinking of you. Beloved, beautiful name. My long-lost childhood pen-pal, we wrote letters to each other every day. The real kind with an address and a stamp that get delivered to your mailbox. Sometimes I even got two letters in one day from my prolific friend.

Today's message reminds me of you and your big smile. A friend who gently and warmly calls you out of hiding, persistently reaching out to you, writing your name into the dark, inviting you into a close relationship.

Often I hear this "yes" messaging - like in one of the featured interviews at the end of May I Be Frank, a fantastic documentary about transformation. Generally this message is aligned with saying yes to the "universe", which is harder for me to really internalize than saying yes to an actual friend.

Maybe I just can't conceptualize that big, maybe it's the exquisite painting in the background or his accent that captivate me, but I find this message more compelling, more real, more helpful than a vague universal invitation. It feels like this one has my name on it, with a pretty stamp in the right corner, and a sender, too. Insert music... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment