Monday, November 11, 2013

My first spiritual discipline, though I wouldn't have called it so at that time: an elimination diet. Akin to fasting. A purification process. For two months (mid-July-mid-Sept 2012) I did not consume any:
  1. Gluten
  2. Dairy 
  3. Alcohol 
  4. Shellfish
  5. Nuts
  6. Corn
  7. Egg
  8. Citrus
  9. Fish
  10. Soy
The entire process took over a year, reincorporating each item individually to isolate any potential reactions. It was interesting, helpful, and strangely fun. A project, and I love projects. (Not to be confused with fads, which I don't love!) Another step in my whatever-it-takes-to-get-me-out-of-this-place process that I'm trying to chronicle here.

Emotionally, it was exciting to take on a challenge - one that I asked for, one that was specifically designed for my benefit - and stick with it. Since my previous efforts seemed to continually backfire, it felt so good to get positive, immediate results: better digestion, bigger repertoire of food, better understanding of health. I felt cleaner, lighter, brighter. My confidence increased. I convinced myself that the perimeter of my face had a healthy glow, even if my rosacea persisted.

Most importantly, it was an action that led to a better mindset. It shifted my daily focus from frustrations and failures to health and little victories!



Happily, I was at this very show last Saturday! Thanks, B :)

No comments:

Post a Comment