Friday, November 8, 2013

Alissa Smego Bigelow, beautiful almost sister, tiny dancer, star of the show. Today is your funeral. I think you might have liked a dance party, but what do I know. Almost nine years have passed since I saw you last. My heart broke when I heard the news.

Effervescent, you were just like champagne. Bubbly, irresistible, bold, so full of light, nothing but the finest. Overflowing with joy, or so it seemed. "A real twinkle in her eyes", I remember Mr. Bigelow saying.

When I was sick after surgery, it was your father who gave me advice, and your cooking that brought back my appetite. With your marinated flank steak, you nursed me back to health when I felt sick. If only I could have, someone could have, done the same for you.

After I'd been far away for a long time, you welcomed me back so warmly. I felt out of place and you made me feel like a special guest. Wherever you've been, whatever happened, I can now only trust God to welcome you back home, Alissa.

Without your daughter and husband, I think too many of your little bubbles burst and you went flat. It's a mystery what you felt behind those sparkly eyes. I wish for the air back in your lungs and the spring back in your step.

Listening to and watching Ruby Tuesday again (below), I'd like to dedicate it to you, Alissa. May you be free from disappointment, free from hurt, free from pain. May the burdens of your heart vanish. May you dance in a soft field of forgiveness. May God wrap you in love and lay you down to rest in the peace you didn't find here on earth.

And may there be a feast with champagne and steak and cake, just like on your wedding day.

No comments:

Post a Comment